Tuesday, April 27, 2010

TIP FOR TODAY - BROCCOLI FUN FACT


Today's Tips are ones that will undoubtedly save you money and keep all your produce the freshest it can be for the longest amount of time. I hate when I end up throwing produce away because I forgot to eat it and I didn't store it properly to add staying power. Here are a few tips to extend the life of your produce:

Wash and dry the produce you buy when you get it home. The exception to this rule is all berries, cauliflower and broccoli. Reason - bacteria accumulates on produce when it goes from farm to market and promotes rot. So washing slows the bacterial growth.

Store all your produce separately in sealed bags. Don't just toss it all together in a drawer. Produce releases ethylene gas as it ripens....sounds weird to me too.... If you store it all together gases from one item can accelerate the spoilage of another. I use resealable bags and line them with paper towel to absorb extra moisture. Target sells bags called "Green Bags".

Tomatoes, radishes, potatoes, all squash, onion and garlic are more sensitive to cold so they should never end up in the refrigerator.

Any of you who know me might wonder why I don't look like this photo since I eat soooooo much broccoli. Pretty frequently it seems you hear of yet another wonder of broccoli for our health. Yesterday I read that broccoli spouts protect your nasal airways from irritating pollutants and pollen, which is very important during this spring allergy season. It acts as a natural anti-inflammatory in your nasal passages.

Oh and asparagus is very beneficial at breaking down alcohol in your body....okay ya I eat a lot of that TOO!!!!
ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment