Sunday, May 2, 2010

PRETTY PIZZA

This is the actual pizza we had for dinner on Friday. So pretty. While I would love to say I made the dough....there are just so many options to buy already made dough...I just don't bother. Many local pizza restaurants sell their dough very cheaply. A place down the street from me sells it for $2. The italian market nearby sells frozen rounds of pizza dough. For this I used a frozen roll of Rhodes Bake n' Serve White Bread. I just take a roll out in the morning and cover it in a bowl with Saran Wrap and leave it on the counter. Great idea before you leave for the office. If you need it to thaw faster, turn your oven to 200 degrees, cover the dough in a bowl and put it in the oven. After a few minutes turn the oven off but leave the dough in the oven. It will rise within hours.

When you are ready to make the pizza, roll the dough out thinly to the shape of your baking sheet or pizza stone. If you have a pizza stone, put it in a 450 degree oven and let it get good and hot. After about 10 minutes, carefully take the stone out of the oven and lay the dough over the top and pinch up the sides to form the pizza.

Spread a marinara or pizza sauce on the dough, add your meat and/or vegetables (I saute the vegetables I use before to make sure they are cooked and soft). Shake a little oregano, basil, pepper or red pepper flakes on top and finish with shredded mozzarella on top.

Crack an egg in a bowl and brush the sides of the dough with the egg wash to make sure the crust gets nice and golden.

I make my own marinara and store it in the freezer (I will blog that soon) or there are many good brands of marinara sauce available. This is a great last minute dish for a busy week and it requires so few ingredients.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment