Tuesday, March 29, 2011

SANDWICH WEEK - SIDE O' SLAW


I made this yesterday to go with dinner, then had it for lunch today. Whenever I am out to lunch and order a sandwich, I always choose coleslaw as my side dish. Over the years I have had some great ones, good ones and "get off my plate" ones.


It really is all a matter of taste. Some of us like our slaw with more mayonnaise, some with a more vinegary bite. I like to somehow find the right balance between the two. This recipe knocked it out of the park for both me and my husband. I shredded my own cabbage and carrots which proved tedious, so if you just want to get the slaw in a bag, I used about 5-6 cups for this recipe. Always season to your taste.


Ingredients:

1 head green cabbage, shredded

1 head red cabbage, shredded

3 carrots, shredded

1 tsp minced shallot

1 cup mayonnaise

3 tbl white vinegar

2 tbl canola oil

2-1/2 tbl sugar

1/2 tsp celery salt

2 tsp salt

2 tsp pepper


Mix cabbage, carrots and shallot in a big bowl. In another bowl whisk remaining ingredients. Taste the dressing. You may want more salt, pepper, mayo or vinegar to your taste. When you have the right flavor for you, pour the dressing over the vegetables. Mix thoroughly and serve immediately. Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator.


LOVE THE SLAW!

ENJOY!

1 comment: