Tuesday, March 16, 2010

ITALIAN WEDDING SOUP


Is this my week for soup or what? This soup IS a meal and there is no need for anything else. With the hearty meatballs and the great stock and pasta, some nice italian bread, some good cabernet and your favorite TV drama..all good to go. Again as in many other recipes on this blog, you can add lots of other things....carrots, celery...I just happen to like it the way I make it.
Ingredients
8 oz (95%) ground beef
8 oz ground pork or veal
2 shallots minced
2 tsp minced garlic cloves
1/3 cup chopped italian parsley
3 large eggs
1 slice white bread crust off and cut in small pieces
1/2 cup parmesan cheese plus 3 TBL
2 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
12 cups chicken broth, canned or homemade
1 lb curly endive chopped
small pasta
First step is to make the meatballs. In a bowl combine onion, parsley, one egg, garlic, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, bread, beef and pork or veal. Roll into very small meatballs and place on wax paper.

Bring broth to a boil and add meatballs and endive. Cook for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, boil water and cook 8 oz of a very small pasta. In a small bowl whisk 2 eggs and 3 tbl cheese. Stir the soup while pouring the egg mixture into pot. Taste and add 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp pepper to desired taste. Add pasta to the soup and serve.

Serve with bread and extra parmesan cheese....WONDERFUL...again so easy.. I make big batches of this soup and freeze it in two serving containers for myself and my husband. I do not add cooked pasta to the ones I freeze as pasta tends to expand. So when I take ones from the freezer I cook a little pasta and add it when it is hot and ready to serve.
ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment